Gough Updates the COVID Issue; Talks About who is Eligible for Booster Shots
By Thad Requet
Shelby County Health Director Audrey Gough gave an update on the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Our numbers are staying around 15 to 20 active cases. We had eight new cases yesterday (Monday) and four of them are school age kids,” she said.
Gough met with the South Shelby Administrators in the first part of August. She said it was a similar meeting as the one last year. “There are no mask mandates, but they aren’t going to discourage them,” Gough said.
“We want them to do their best to keep people spread out, but that is a challenge with the small sizes of the classrooms. North Shelby has a little bit of an advantage because they have fewer students and it’s easier to keep everyone six feet apart,” she said.
Gough said that North Shelby had a positive case, and due to the hard work of their administrators, they were able to determine they was no close contact.
The Shelby County Health Department has both Phizer and Moderma vaccines. “If I can get six people I can open a bottle and not waste any,” she said.
As for the booster shot, the only ones currently being recommended for it are those who are immune compromised. Organ transplant patients, cancer patients who are actively being treated for cancer, and patients with HIV are the ones eligible for the booster as of when the become available. “Also people taking more than 20 milligrams of Prednisone per day are eligible,” Gough said.
She said at the National level they are trying to figure out a time line on when to start giving the booster shot. The health department has no say on when they can be given.
She also noted that flu shot season is coming up and the health department will start giving those in the middle of September. She said it was very successful last year.
Please support the Shelbina Weekly by subscribing today!